Wednesday, September 9, 2009

No, thank YOU, Zidane.

Good... afternoon. Right?

Still feels like morning. I go to bed later and later every day. I woke up early, again, to get breakfast and ended up passing out the instant I got back to my room. I slept through chapel. Thankfully salvation is not dependent on chapel attendance or we'd all be going to hell.

I didn't sleep through HIS 150, though, so that's good. I hate missing actual class. Interesting stuff we talked about today: History and how it applies to you!

It doesn't. History is funny in that, the farther back you go, the more bizarre the society of the day was. Example: Robert Darnton's The Great Cat Massacre, in which Darnton reconstructs the events that happened in 1730s France where there were three riotous days of killing cats for reasons no modern man could possibly understand. How does this apply to us? It obviously doesn't. History is not some kind of epic salad bar of folklore and stories we can pick and choose from to further a purpose or idea we have today.

Also, sloganeering sucks. So find a better use for bumper stickers. Like gagging hostages.

These are the things we learn in class. I'm going to go ahead and read Darnton's essay on the cats, for funsies, but I'm convinced that my desire to do so is entirely based on the "suggestion" the teacher gave to us to read it and his outright refusal to enlighten us as to the actual reasons stated by the participants in the massacre for their bloody deeds. It's like homework but worse, because I don't have to do it and I will anyway. I expected this crap from the psych department, but not from you, Dr. Green. I'm very disappointed in you.

I'm switching majors. To English. Because I'm good at it and your major has nothing to do with who will hire you out of college. Surprising fact, but true. All that really matters is your GPA and whatever internships or extracurriculars you can dredge up. So I'll be switching to English, working with the school paper, named The Bagpipe by someone who obviously took the schools Scottish heritage a little too far, and possibly writing articles for newspapers in Chattanooga. Maybe even finding some internships with non-profits nearby. One in particular that I really just want to join to find out what the hell they do.

"So... what do y'all do, exactly?"
"We're trying to change Chattanooga for the better."
"How?"
"By empowering people."
"What good will that do?"
"We feel it'll improve the city's culture."
"So how are you empowering people?"
"By getting them involved in bettering Chattanooga."
"And how are you bettering Chattanooga?"
"By empowering people."

I so want to be a part of that. Really. I mean, the bonus it'll add to my resume when I get out of here will be nice, but really I'm in it for the empowerment.

In MicroEconomics I was asked who my favorite sports team was. I said the French national soccer team. Immediately the two kids next to me claimed Italy and Manchester United as their teams. I think I almost died. Luckily Zinedine Zidane came flying through the door and head-butted a hold in the concrete wall after which he gave Italy and Manc a very meaningful glare. And so I survived.

I've got class in 15 minutes. Human Heredity. Genethics and all that good stuff. Nothing more attractive than a man who knows how to make a pretty baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment