It's this feeling of importance that bugs me. The importance my life has for other people, that kind of thing. I have trouble forcing myself to write when I can't stop myself from thinking that, no matter how excited I might be about the things happening in my life, no one else really cares. I feel like it's selfish of me to assume anyone does care.
I got a part in a play I don't think I can handle. That's new and slightly interesting.
I play Jacob Ross, a young entrepreneur working as the branch manager of a cellphone company in the town he grew up in. After moving back to his home town from San Fransico he stumbles across his high school sweetheart who, before the play ends, winds up suffering a mental breakdown and nearly commits suicide because of pent up grief at her sister's death years ago. It's a big mess. My job is to remain stupidly oblivious and obnoxiously pleasant throughout the whole play while the girl I loved for years pushes me away over and over again. Jacob is a good man, and very kind and sweet, but he's so incapable of sensing bad feelings that he comes across as a total moron. While everyone around him suffers, he insists on asking his suicidal sweetheart out for coffee every. single. scene.
I'm beginning to get the hang of him, but just barely. I'm too empathetic for a role like this.
Jordan seems to be pretty happy with me, which is wonderful. I've never had a girlfriend whose goofiness matched my own before. It's great. I just hope I don't end up letting her down.
Her dad is coming to the school for a mission conference. I really hope he likes me. As far as I know right now, he considers me to be an unfit match for his daughter. She broke up with me once before and she told them I wasn't a strong enough Christian to be a husband. Whether or not that's true I don't know. She seems to think I'm a strong enough Christian now that we're dating again so for what it's worth I guess she thinks she was wrong. I just hope he agrees with her sooner rather than later. If he tells me he doesn't want us dating I'll have to honor his desires. I can't in good conscience date a girl against her dad's wishes. I tried that once before and it was miserable.
I really really hope he likes me. I don't think I could handle not being Jordan's boyfriend anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment